PTAB Committee to Examine Open and Unresolved Issues after the Arthrex Decision
Join the New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA) PTAB Committee on October 5 as they discuss open and unresolved issues after the Supreme Court's Arthrex decision.
In this interactive presentation, PTAB Committee co-chair Charley Macedo, co-chair Ken Adamo, and other members of the PTAB Committee will discuss and explain open and unresolved appellate issues that still exist after the Supreme Court's June 21, 2021 decision in U.S. v. Arthrex Inc. Specifically, in its decision, the Supreme Court held that APJs are principal officers. However, the Supreme Court did not agree with the Federal Circuit's remedy and determined that final written decisions of APJs must be subject to review by the Director of the USPTO.
There will be a Q&A session afterward. 1 CLE credit will be available for attendees.
- Charles Macedo, Partner, Amster Rothstein & Ebenstein
- Kenneth Adamo, Owner, Law Office of KRAdamo
- Christopher Lisiewski, Associate, Amster Rothstein & Ebenstein
- Robert Rando, Partner, Greenspoon Marder
- 35 U.S.C. §§ 6, 141(c), 144, 314(a), 318(a), 323-326.
- 37 C.F.R. § 90.3.
- US v. Arthrex, Inc., 141 S. Ct. 1970 (2021)
- In Re: Boloro Global Limited, Appeal Nos. 2019-2349, -2351, -2353, Doc. 35 (Fed. Cir. July 7, 2020) & Doc 41 (Fed. Cir. Sept. 16, 2021).
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, Appeal Nos. 2020-1747, -1748, -1750, Doc. 79 (Fed. Cir. Aug. 16, 2021).
- Ciena Corp. v. Oyster Optics, LLC, 958 F.3d 1157, 1159 (Fed. Cir. 2020).
- Arthrex, Inc. v. Smith & Nephew, Inc., 941 F.3d 1320 (Fed. Cir. 2019); No. 2018-2140, Doc. 144 (Fed. Cir. July 28, 2021).
- In Re Magnum Oil Tools Int’l, Ltd., 829 F.3d 1364 (Fed. Cir. 2016).
- Paper 38, Samsung Display Co., Ltd. v. Solas OLED Ltd., IPR2020-00320 (August 2, 2021).
- Arthrex Q&As, USPTO, updated July 20, 2021
- Mark Selwyn et al., 10 Open Appellate Issues Following High Court Arthrex Ruling, Law 360 (Sept. 13, 2021)
- USPTO Implementation of an Interim Director Review Process Following Arthrex, USPTO, June 29, 2021