From Associate to Founder: Leveraging your Firm Experience to Work for a Start-Up
After putting in several years as a law firm associate, it is not uncommon for young lawyers to look to alternative career paths. One option, particularly for technology-minded IP attorneys, is to consider a start-up. The NYIPLA Young Lawyers Committee and Cardozo Law School Tech Startup Clinic will co-host a roundtable discussion on how law firm associates can make a transition to a career at a start-up. Speakers will include the director of Cardozo’s tech startup clinic and former law firm associates who have gone on to found their own start-ups in a variety of industries.
Topics covered will include:
- legal and non-legal career opportunities at a start-up
- the life cycle of start-ups and their legal and employment needs at each stage
- war stories from lawyers turned founders
- Aaron Wright - Associate Clinical Professor of Law and Founder/Director, Tech Startup Clinic, Cardozo Law School
- Alma Asay - CIO, Integreon, Inc.
- Nehal Madhani - CEO, Alt Legal
- Michael Sander - Founder and Managing Director, Docket Alarm and Director of Analytics, Fastcase
- Richard Zemsky - Co-Founder and COO, Neurovation Labs
Moderator: Tara Melillo - Skadden
Reception sponsored by the Cardozo Start-Up Law Society