Mediating Patent Infringement Disputes: Current Trends and Future Considerations
Mediation has become a prominent part of resolving many patent infringement disputes. Many district courts require parties to a patent infringement dispute participate in mediation; most Administrative Law Judges at the International Trade Commission require parties to a patent infringement dispute participate in mediation or, at least, regularly-scheduled settlement conferences with a duty to report the outcome of those conferences; and many appellate courts and other district courts provide mediation as an option for parties to resolve patent infringement disputes. This session will explore the role of mediation in resolving patent infringement disputes and discuss the impact of mediation going forward. Examples of questions answered during this seminar include:
- What types of issues typically drive a mediation to result in a successful resolution?
- Is there a best time during the life of a patent dispute for mediation?
- What are the tried-and-true strategies for preparing for and participating in a mediation?
- What is the role and availability of mediation in patent disputes at the district court, appellate courts and International Trade Commission?
- What impact has the American Invents Act and its adoption of post-grant review proceedings had on mediation?
Hon. Garrett E. Brown, Jr. (Ret.), JAMS
Scott Burt, SVP, GC and Chief IP Counsel, Conversant IP Management
Thomas L. Creel, Law Offices of Thomas L. Creel, PC
John Lindgren, CEO, IPVALUE
Moderator: Bryan J. Vogel, Partner, Robins Kaplan LLP
5:45 - 6:00 Registration
6:00 - 7:15 Presentation
7:15 - 8:30 Reception
Earn 1.5 NY CLE Skills Credit
All cancellations must be received in writing via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Monday, June 4, 2018 – 12noon EST. (A cancellation fee in the amount of $5.00 will be deducted from the refund.) No refunds will be issued for subsequent program cancellations or for no-shows.
NYIPLA reaches a diverse community of intellectual property professionals through a wide range of programs and activities that can provide a rewarding sponsorship experience. Benefits include: sponsor recognition, logo displays, promotional materials, and more. Click HERE for Sponsorship details.